Jim Tate

I step into the store, stretch out my neck and peer over piles of furniture stacked on top of each other. The smell of rust and mold fill my nostrils. I hear the faint sound of a radio and turn my head in its direction. There, I find the owner of the store, leaning back in a chair. His leg is propped on one knee, eyes focused on his newspaper. I stand there for a moment with a grin on my face, remembering my grandfather in that same pose. He looks up at me with his eyes glowing and a grin that reaches past his cheeks.


This is when I had the privilege of meeting Jim Tate. 

I'm used to asking all the questions, but this time it was the other way around. I got to share with him why I moved to downtown Greenville and how I knew for sure Jesus wanted me to move there. Mr. Tate said that I was very unique and different, but a good different.  That he enjoyed our talk and getting to know me. He said I enlightened him and that he can tell I have a good head on my shoulders. I remember when he asked me what was my sign from God that I knew I was supposed to move downtown and his surprise at my simple answer, "He told me too."  I think he was expecting something bigger than that.

He paused for a moment and said, "Oh, so you hear from God?" I smiled again and said, "He talks to me." He also asked how I felt about going to a big church compared to a small one. He asked me why I moved down town, a white girl in a black neighborhood.  I told him I just knew I was supposed to be here.  My simple answers seemed hard for him to wrap his mind around.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get a pic of him because he wouldn't allow it. He doesn't believe in taking pictures. So hopefully our conversation painted a good enough picture for you. 

Comments

Popular Posts